The deployment of the Smart Costa del Sol project will begin in April in Marbella

Smart City

The deployment of the Smart Costa del Sol project, in which the Marbella City Council participates along with 12 other Malaga consistories, will begin in April in the city. This is the main concretion offered by SUR by the councilor for Innovation and Electronic Administration, Baldomero León, who participated on Tuesday in a coordination meeting in Malaga with the mayors and municipal officials of this great initiative to turn the Costa del Sol into the Spain's first smart tourist region. The development of the project, which has various lines of action, all of a technological nature and whose recipient is both resident and tourist, will have to be completed as a whole by the end of 2020.


Smart Costa del Sol is the seed of the first call for smart cities made by the Ministry of Economy and Business through the public entity, which has been awarded the joint venture Idom-Wellness Telecom, for a total amount of 3,583,213 euros (including taxes), financed 80% by and the remaining 20% ​​by the municipalities. Marbella allocates 111,000 euros, which have already been allocated for the development of all the actions included in the project, at least one initiative per line of action (since the number depends on the financial contribution of each municipality).

The Smart Costa del Sol project aims to achieve efficiency in the management of tourism resources and services through the implementation of technologies that facilitate people's daily lives and that also contribute to reducing the current energy consumption of the participating municipalities. .

In addition to Marbella Town Hall, Smart Costa del Sol includes Estepona, Ronda, Málaga, Rincón de la Victoria, Alhaurín de la Torre, Antequera, Benalmádena, Fuengirola, Mijas, Torremolinos, Vélez-Málaga and Nerja.

Among the more than 15 actions contemplated within the project, initiatives for the intelligent management of parking to locate free spaces stand out, which translates into a decrease in traffic density and driving times, or the installation of traffic controls. influx in public spaces. Although the Marbella City Council has carried out various pilot experiences in the field of the 'smart city', such as the implantation of Wi-Fi zones in the center or the management of irrigation through sensors in the Parque de la Constitución for the reduction of water consumption that are also included in the Smart Costa del Sol project, the Councilor for Innovation stressed that they have been experiences developed in parallel by the City Council with a certain duration and always within a "testing concept".

The mayor stressed the importance of the meeting held in Malaga "for the political drive" of Smart Costa del Sol where he attended as a representative of the Marbella City Council. At the meeting, where the deployment schedule was presented, it was also agreed to create a multi-town hall that will bring together all the information of tourist interest for both residents and visitors that will be housed by the Town Hall of Malaga.